Game Idea Research

In this blog I will be discussing my game research idea. Last week I posted a blog where I brainstormed some different game ideas. I will be talking about one of those ideas today and I chose a game idea that I taught I would enjoy working on for the rest of this semester. I will also be focusing on the three game mechanics idea that I know will work well for this assignment. The game idea I am going to be focusing on will be a interactive storybook game for children, my third game idea from the 'Game Brainstorm' blog.

Game Outline:

  • This game encourages imagination, creative ability, storytelling in young children. 
  • Children choose from a range of characters or make their own character from shapes supplied; i.e; "round head", "big eyes", "big nose", "black hair". They are also given unusual shapes that can make monsters or aliens! e.g. "horns", "wings" etc.
  • They then get to choose from a theme i.e. "Outerspace", "Haunted House", "Medieval Castle" and many more. Each "theme" has its own scenes that the child can use to place their characters in.
  • There will be tools for adding audio, music and "close-ups". Characters come alive by the child creating dialogue- this bit perhaps needs simplification choosing from a small range of expressions. Age range will be from five to eight years of age.
Target Market: (Research)

  • After researching these types of games online I have concluded that the target market that would be suitable for this game would be young boys and girls under ten years of age but, from five years of age. 

         The three or more game mechanics that I was thinking work well for my game are:


  • Mobility: Player moves character scene depending on the story they are creating. This includes facial expressions that can be altered, leg/hand movement, body movement in different directions.
  • Audio:  Each and every character will have set dialogue options that the player will choose themselves which will add to the players experience of the game.
  • Mini Challenges:   There will be 'mini challenges' within the game for the player. This will include: simple puzzles, general knowledge and simple math problem solving games.


Resource Links: 



Image result for children learning games
Image showing children's basic learning games
Source Link

Comments

  1. Hi Isabel! Cool game idea, it's very different to the others that I've read. I like how it's for kids to use their imagination and create. And everyone loves creating a character. I like how you're thinking of adding different dialogue for different characters and the mini games and puzzles sound really fun. Great idea, look forward to hearing how it develops :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Isabel
    Im so happy you chose to create this game its so good and different to anybody else. I like how you aimed it towards kids because I think this game will be really great for that age demographic. I love how the kids will be able to choose their own characters and themes and dialogue thats so cool!!!. How will the game progress will there be levels for the kids to pass and continue with to reach a certain goal?. I think it would be nice if you added in another theme maybe in the future because I think your game will really interest kids and that would be something that would be cool to see maybe like a world where they get to make it themselves? great job on your game idea its really coming along well I cant wait to see how it turns out soon!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Isabel, I really like your game idea! I like how your target audience is younger. Many games on the market nowadays aren't very child friendly! I like how you will be giving the players the freedom to pick out what they look like themselves, this free's their imagination! Looking forward to seeing the finished piece!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a future something....?

Final Game Design Document

Game Vision Statement